Sunday, May 11, 2008

mothers day

Today is Mothers Day.

I will wish Miriam a special day, she is the resident mother here at my house. I’ll do something special for her (cash is short, so it won’t involve much money), and our daughters will all call and wish her a happy day.

But, I will be thinking of my mother.

Mom was a widow at 24. She was short, but she was tough. Before Dad was killed mom delivered 4 babies and buried two. She was a survivor. My memories of mom are universally good .

Mom was a pillar of strength. She was consistent in her judgment and good advice. She loved Miriam and my daughters (we spent her last decade living a couple of blocks away). When Lora (daughter 2) was just getting the hang of reading, mom gave her a kids picture dictionary. She wrote in it: To Lora, the girl who loves words." Mom noticed.

She dreamed of going to college. After they were married she went to college one semester and loved it, but dad wanted to move on to something else and she dropped out. She talked about her dream of going back to college after she retired. She was a lifelong learner and a pragmatist, but she never got back to college.

She studied accountant, took a correspondence course to increase her knowledge and usefulness. she had the accountant’s interest in details. My artist brain and her accountant brain did not always mesh, but we always got on well.

In his NYTimes column this morning, Thomas Friedman talks about his mom and what she went through, ending with a story of the legendary Bear Bryant, who changed a planned television commercial for the telephone company from: Call your mother; to Call your mother, I wish I could call mine.

Friedman wishes he could call his mom, who died this last year, and I really understand.

I talk to Emily and Jessica about how much my mother would have loved them, and how much they would have loved her. Mom was tough as she needed to be, but she was soft and cuddly too. She would have been a wonderful great grandmother.

Mom made it through one daughter's wedding and a high school graduation or two, was cut way short by cancer. She retired as an accountant for the state health department, and about a year later she was gone. She was just 65.

Each day I think of mom and what a classy woman she was. Every day I wish I could talk to her about this or that. And frequently I imagine a conversation where mom would ask me about that black thing I carry in my hand.

“It’s my telephone mom, I can get calls almost everywhere I go.”

Amazing, she would say in pre-computer wonderment.

Today I will remember mom and I will hug my Jess and Em’s grandmother.

I love you Miriam, I am so glad you are the mother of my daughters and a wonderful grandmother to my grandkids.

But, I really really wish I could call my mom.

6 comments:

StefanieRose said...

i love you grandpa face. your mom loved you so much. i can tell because you love others the same amount. even adopted granddaughters. you got that love from her. so thank you david's mom.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could call your Mom, too, Daddy. I read your words about her and got all teary. She was the best grandmother. Period.

I have several things around my home that remind me of your mom and my Grandma. I have her knitting basket, which I have stuffed very happily with yarns for future projects. I have some cooking pans and canning jars and a big wooden bowl that I put keep bananas in on my kitchen counter. I have an afghan that she made for me. I have photos and books and a special Bible. I have a love for gardening indoors and out. And though I'm taller than she was, when I look in the mirror, I see her reflection in some of my features.

I loved your Mom. She was tender and gentle. I always felt loved by her. She was smart and knew how to treat (or NOT treat, as the case may be) a young teenage girl, and the young bride that I became before she died. Never condesending, judgemental or ornery, though I gave her reason I'm sure.

One thing at I particularly treasure from my beloved Grandma isn't the material things, though they are wonderful, it's the memories of how a good grandma can and yes, should be. Someday I'll get to be a grandma and... well, she set a great example.

But you know, the veryVERY best thing I have from my Grandma is something that she didn't even give me. You and Momma gave it to me. It's the best gift of all. Thank YOU! You gave me her name. And you spelled it just like hers. Unique and wonderful. Arline.

I love and miss my Grandma Arline. I wish I could call her, too. Wouldn't she have loved to be around her 11 great grandkids and watched them grow up? Wouldn't she have loved knowing that she has a grandson named David? Wouldn't she have loved computers? HA! I know she would have.

So, on this Mother's Day, Daddy, I want to thank you. You and Momma. You gave me the best gift, this side of life itself. My name.

I love you!
Arline

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

What a beautiful piece dedicated to your mother. How I wish I could call mine too.

I am in tears. Bless you Dave. A good son.

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
I felt the tears coming as I was reading your tribute to your Mother. I agee with Stef..you got your love from your Mother. Your words are so beautifully stated. You have a great love for your family and friends. Take care and I hope that you have a good week. Happy Mothers' Day Ms. Miriam...

dave said...

Thank you each. Moms just don't stick around long enough, durn.

Lori1955 said...

Oh Dave, what a beautiful, heartfelt tribute to your mom. I wish I could call mine too.