Wednesday, September 3, 2008

my new ipod

For fathers day, one of my wonderful daughters gave me a gift certificate to an electronics store. Now, my daughters are generous and wonderful, but hardly wealthy, so the gift did not have a lot of zeroes.

So I began thinking about what I might get. My ancient TV will soon be obsolete, but maybe that is alright! And there was not enough to buy a new plasma screen, so I kept thinking.

Then it dawned and I got a green iPod, the little inexpensive one.

Wow what a wonder it has been.

Since it does not have a screen, I load it each day with what I want to listen to, and change if as often as I wish.


But the biggest thing has been that I have been able to download books from the net and spend my time listening to books. There is no shortage of books, but most have a charge, some small and some high on recent releases.

LibriVox.org has been a wonderful source of recorded books that are in the public domain, which means they include a lot of the old masterpieces.

I have listened to half a dozen books so far. Some old favorites, and some that I should have read but did not. Right now I am mostly through with Melville’s Typee and when I am finished I will go for his Moby Dick, a book I have not touched since early college.

And maybe I will listen to Mozart opera for a few days, or Iris Dement!

No comments: