Sunday, September 21, 2008

peanut butter jars

For a number of years we have been buying the same brand of peanut butter that came and comes in the same size jar. It is a bit over a quart with a wide mouth lid and sealing rubber on the inside of the lid.

We have carefully saved them until we have a lot of them.

The peanut butter is the non hydrogenated kind will separate, but is good flavored and free of additional “stuff”, and I love those jars.

And they have become the basis of our food storage system. Miriam used to use Cocoa cans, the paper kind with the plastic lid, maybe with a quart and a half capacity. She would cover them with sticky paper and put fancy labels on them.

They worked pretty well, but you could never see what was really in the can, nor guess how much was there, and they seemed to be a lot more vulnerable to deterioration and infestation. At least I thought that.

So I have converted almost everything to these peanut butter jars. Sometimes when I come back from the bulk section of the super store, I have more than will fit into one jar. I either put the rest in another jar, or put the bag in the freezer for use later.

For table use Miriam stirs the big jar and then fills a pint jar, and keeps it pretty full most of the time. With just the two of us that works out fine.

Our peanut butter was a regional company, based in Portland Oregon. Alas they were bought out by one of the big companies from the midwest. So now they are a division of someone else.

So far the peanut butter has not changed, an equally important to me, the jars have not either.

Did I mention that we eat a fair amount of the stuff?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I can't wait to see the transformation in the cupboards. I agree, the jars are a better choice all round.

I have a small stash of PB jars. The same ones you have. But I refill mine with PB. The kind I make from the bulk bin's peanuts. Those PB jars are the perfect size for our family. And it never hurts to set a couple jars on the table at a time. Saves on the passin'.

LOL!

dave said...

Arline has a husband and three children still at home, and they are good eaters, each of them.
They are glad she is a wonderful cook and mom.

dave