Friday, September 26, 2008

travel day

Today we are driving a couple hundred miles west to go camping with daughter 2 and her family. There are 6 of them, so it will be a good group.

We are taking the teardrop trailer, it sleeps well and it is warmer than sleeping in a tent, and it is getting towards fall, and the night temps in the mountains can get pretty nippy.

I will make my upside down cake, and maybe something else in my dutch oven, but there are plenty of good cooks! We will eat well.

Then early next week we will drive the 45 miles north to visit daughter 1 and her family. Her oldest is married and living out of state with his bride, but the remaining family will be there. It is always good to spend time with them.

So, we will be gone from home about a week. We haven’t done that much this year. The cost of travel somehow limits the number of trips! I had hoped to go for a week long camp trip, just Miriam and I but not this year.

We are planning a run to Death Valley in late winter. It should be warm there, when it is still cold in Idaho. That trip will be a tent trip. The hot springs where we go is at the end of a long rough road. We will meet an old friend there. There are no services available, so we could stay until we ran out of food!

So, I will hook up the teardrop trailer to Miriam’s Cavalier, which qualifies as a little car. Leo, the dog will go with us, and we will have a good time.

I want to enjoy these trips and visits with our kids and grandkids. I know that the time is coming when that will not be possible.

My neighbors across the street are a wonderful hispanic family, Juan feeds our fish while we are gone and brings in the mail. He tells me that his father in law has been diagnosed with AD. He is dropping very fast. He is just a few years older than us. That makes me sad.

And, we will take a lunch. Freeway food is bad and spendy both.

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend ahead!

The cost of everything has really played heck with a lot of people's travel plans. Still, if you are able to cut corners here and there by taking your own eats and sleeping quarters, you are still ahead by quite a bit.

Is that pineapple upside down cake you are talking about? That's a family favorite around here and my DH's specialty. Shoot, maybe I will ask him if he will make us one this evening while I am working.

Have a great time and watch out for the other guy while you are driving!

StefanieRose said...

i love you and miss you already

Joanne said...

Sounds like a great trip, Dave. Be safe.