Tuesday, October 14, 2008

male friends

We once were photographers In a smallish town with a largish small college. I photographed every one on campus several times a year, student, faculty and staff.

We were on a first name basis with hundreds of people, but during that 20 odd year period we developed very few real friendships.

We guys have trouble with close friends, male friends in particular. We just don’t make many. In fact I have read that if a guy has two real close male friends in a lifetime, he was doing well, and anything above 2 puts you in a high realm. (Jesus had 12 friends, but only three were really close).

When we went to Texas I met Carl. He was a dairy farmer (and a closet millionaire). We started spending time together going and doing. Before long we were very close friends. We could finish each others sentences, and often did.

We went to Belize and to Mexico on church mission projects with high school and college kids. We slept on floors and in king beds in fancy hotels. (Carl was the chairman of his local school board and there was a school board chairman convention each year. I would go along and sleep in the extra bed!)

I really missed Carl when I came back to Idaho. He promised he would come see us, but Idaho is a LONG way from texas. We went back a couple times, but now that is off budget both time and money wise.

I met David here in Idaho. I went to see him. “I am looking for a friend.” I began. I do not know if that is the proper way to start a friendship but that is how that one began.

That was a dozen years ago. We have hiked, we have camped, we have shot the bull, we have spent countless hours together doing all sorts of things, and that friendship has deepened.

He did not move away to get away from me (at least that is what he says), but his wife’s parents needed care and since David and wife had just retired, it seemed obvious, to every one but the Davids, I fear.

I am not sure, at this age, that I have the patience to develop another real close male friendship.

But I will read, and I will remember.

Thank you Carl

Thank you David

Bless you each.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you know that I, too, needed a friend? And it has been a good ride. I hope it isn't over. And it won't be, if we can keep it together.
Good friends are so hard to come by and you, my friend, are a very good friend...the best. Thanks for the invitation!
Dave

dave said...

It has been good.
Thanks for everything.
dave