Friday, October 17, 2008

winter part 2

Winter is not my favorite season.

I struggle with depression and it deepens in winter. When I mentioned this to my doctor, she said that we might want to up the dosage on my anti depressant this winter. That might be a good idea.

Years ago, before Texas, we took up cross country skiing just so there would be something to look forward to each winter. Since Texas the skis sit an taunt.

When I was working I hated winter. Mud, cold houses, freezing supplies. Years ago PolySeamSeal first came out and it was in a tube. We used to carry a tube of it in our coat pocket, so it would not freeze in the tool box.

While we are healthy now (Miriam is fine except for her memory), but how long can I do all of this? No one knows, of course, but this year I can and I fully expect to keep it going next year.

This year I got behind on my garden and the weeds overshadowed some of my plants. I apologized to my neighbor who has the finest looking lawn in town. He laughed: “That show you were doing things that were more important.”

I liked his take.

Mom said that if I kept the garden in good shape until the hot part of summer, then let it go, that I might have trouble finding the produce but it would be there. I know that is not the best way to do it, but sometimes that is how it works.

This year I plated two hills of Pumpkins on the edge of the corn. It was too close and the corn was spaced too close and the pumpkin did not do well, I thought. But as we were digging potatoes we found a very fine 10” pumpkin. The only one for the year!

But as I look over my acre I can see an endless list of things that need to be done, or things that would make it nicer some way. But there are budget limitations and there are time limitations. I think I like both of those.

Miriam was good help this week. She can work with me, but she cannot do a task alone.

One thing she is good at is telling me what needs to be done. Our mail box post was driven into a few years ago and it is way off of straight now.

We hardly ever go by that she does not remind me that it needs to be fixed.

“When it falls I will fix it.”

She is not amused.

4 comments:

Lori1955 said...

Well living in the desert, winter is my favorite time of year. I can't wait for those 70 degree days. Although I have to say that I wouldn't like to have to do all the work that you have to do in any kind of weather.

Unknown said...

Winter is not my favorite season but, like you, I enjoy the change of seasons. I will be eager for it to end though.

I was thinking the other day that all during my growing up season we had animals to care for in the winter. I think its harder then on both humans and animals. Then I went through a long time with no such responsibility. And now here I am back trying to help take care of four horses.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I like all seasons pretty much. They all have their little "things" about them I really enjoy.

I was productive yesterday. I got some raking done, the windows washed and insulated and the deck swept off. There is plenty more to do but I will get to it by and by.

Thought about you while I was working. It kind of gave me incentive to get things done:)

dave said...

we usually do not have bad winters, though once in a while we get a corker. This is the first winter I have not worked, and I actually look forward to time by the fire!