Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sandy

Some years ago I was playing a table game with Miriam and Emily.

I leaned back in my chair, so it balanced on the two back legs (I know, mom said to do that) and I lost my balance and fell backwards.

The proper thing to do is to tuck your head in, fold your arms and fall. The worse thing would be a bump on the head. But I did not think. I stuck out my right arm to catch myself and tore my rotator cuff, a part of my anatomy that until that moment I did know I even owned.

It is one of those injuries that hurts like crazy for a while, but once it is healed a bit, only hurts when I do certain movements, like reach out to the side table and pick up a cup of tea.

So, I was at church one day soon after I fell and about the time it was starting to heal a bit and I mentioned it to Sandy, who is a physical therapist . “Ahh, you will need to have surgery on it, Dave.” I argued that I would not. She grinned and said in a voice of motherly authority: “Yea, you will have surgery.”

I am sure she forgot all about that comment, it has been several years, but it has been in my head every time I re-injure that shoulder, which is quite often.

I don’t like the idea of surgery. I had foot surgery a few years ago, and it was not awful, but I would skip that part if I can. I have two friends who have had knee re placement surgery in the last year. Once they have healed and done a ton of physical therapy, they are quite happy with the results. I should not be afraid of a knife, but I still would skip it if possible.

But when I reach for that cup of tea, I am reminded of Sandy’s words.

No comments: