Thursday, January 22, 2009

changes

I used to tell students that since all good things come to and end, and the semester was ending, it must have been good.

The same logic could go for this week’s change in our national government, I guess.

This blog is not about politics, and I won’t go there, but another line is that a change is as good as a rest.

So, enjoy your rest, because there seems to be major changes ahead, and changes often are what we make of them.

As we get closer to the end of January the garden seeds which I ordered a couple of weeks ago are arriving, adding to the stack. Each packet of seeds is a promise, an expression of faith. There is still a lot of ice on the garden, though the snow is pretty well gone. It is hard to think of much spring this time of year, but i try.

I'll open the cold frame soon and begin eating the salad veggies that have been waiting for a bit of spring weather. I planted them back in September.


For Christmas one of our daughters gave Miriam a 1000 piece jig saw puzzle. She began working on it about as soon as we got home before new years day.

She worked on that puzzle like it was a job, like she was getting paid! It kept her occupied for a long time.

Last night she put the last piece in. It was the hardest puzzle she has ever done. She was sure of that and I tend to agree. The whole experience tells lot about her. Once she starts something she won’t stop.

Hmm, maybe that is why she is still married to ME!!

2 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Your post made me remember my grandma ordering her seeds and planning her garden. She would examine her seed catalogs for days, making her choices very carefully as to what she wanted to plant, can, ect. My mother would then help her fill out the order form, my grandma would give my mom money and she would write a check, as my grandma didn't have a checking account. Within a few weeks the seeds would arrive and come March, grandma would once again be bottoms up in her garden until October, weeding, picking, moving things around, whatever. That dear lady had that garden down to a science and even now, 25 years after her death, you can still see where it once was laid out.

I didn't mean to hijack your post, Dave. It just stirred up some wonderful memories that I had forgotton about. And I thank you for that:)

dave said...

That is ok Chris.
When my grandmothers were doing gardening they did not live in my house so i did not watch.
In the old days, of course, a garden was not a hobby, but an affordable way to feed the family.
Our garden is appreciated for food, but if it did not happen, we would survive.
I think.
Thanks for the comment Chris.