Monday, January 19, 2009

birthday

Yesterday was Miriam’s birthday.

It was one of those numbers that does not include a zero but is a familiar number. You know 6 times 12; or 8 times 9; or 3 dozen twice. You know.

It was a quite day, she was home all day. I had to leave for a while, so I left her with the computer phone to take cals. Earlier I emailed the daughters telling them to be sure to call their mother on that number. I have told them for years that they can forget my birthday and it is OK, but do not forget your mom's so I send a reminder from time to time!


Emily called first. When I returned from getting icing for the cake (I know, I could have made it myself), a gift of lingerie for miriam, as well as a bit of ice cream to go with the cake, she was happily talking to grandkids on the phone, often repeating the same bit of trivia.

I had to remind her a dozen or more times that it was indeed her birthday and that was why people were calling.

Maybe I should have made some cup cakes and, after we each had one put the rest in the freezer, but instead I made a smallish two layer cake, with strawberry jam between the layers and chocolate icing on top.

She requested a chocolate cake, even though I had thought of angle food, (she has surely been my angel). I have never never made an angel food cake, but it seemed symbolic. I don’t particularly even like them, but I got over the symbolism and whipped up an easy box cake (Oh I know I know, I should have made a mayonnaise chocolate cake).

When I served her the cake, an hour or so after dinner, I teased that I forgot to call the city and get a fire permit, with that many candles. She laughed at me.

I changed her medical insurer, and while I have power of attorney and all the rest of the stuff, the new company got all fussy about it, so I’ll take Miriam in to sign the papers herself. Her signature has no legal bearing, but it will make the company happy.

Miriam is a few months older than I (January to May), and every year since we were 20 (we married at 19), I have teased her about being married to an “older” woman. But it has been good.

I love you Miriam, thanks for making my life so much more enjoyable

Christmas time when all 20 something of us were together, one of my sons in law said: “Dave, this is all your fault.” Then we both laughed.

2 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Happy Birthday to dear sweet Miriam. And thank you Dave, for sharing your beautiful wife with us. I feel like I know her through your loving words.

I loved your son in law's comment...how funny and witty! 20 people is a wonderful sized family and something to really treasure, as I know you do.
Blessings to you today and always.

rainbowheart said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ms. Mirima. I agree with Chris, Dave. You can tell that you love Ms. Miriam so with your words. And the son in law's comment is too sweet. You have a loving family and that is something to be proud of. Take care and stay warm.