Monday, March 2, 2009

walking in the rain

Tonight we went for a walk, Miriam Leo and I --
In the dark--
In the rain.

It was twilight when we left and began raining a bit later. I had a rain resistant jacket, good for a fairly long walk in the rain. I had our two raincoats in my backpack, so I thought I was ready for anything.

But when I got Miriam’s rain cape out and on her I discovered that it did not have a draw string on the hood, so it was quite difficult or impossible to hold it on while walking into the wind.

Hmm. The rain was a bit more intense, but it was was not cold, so we were not in any real danger of hyperthermia, but I wanted her to be comfortable (so she would come with me again!). I put my rain coat over hers and it was a bit better. Now I am full of questions.

How can I make her more comfortable?

That is the time of night I really like to walk, and I really want her to be comfortable next time.

Details are the key.

3 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

The walk sounds wonderful. I love walking at twilight.

Does the hood on Miriam's coat have a hem around it where you can thread a drawstring through? If so, I would say to make a small cut on each side of the hood where the strings would come out and thread a drawstring through it. As for a drawstring, a very long bootlace would work.

Even if the hood doesn't have a hem, a small one can be sewn in quite easily. I don't know if yo sew or know someone who could throw in a small hem but it wouldn't take much to do so.

I think it's very sweet to take Miriam's comfort into consideration. It was touching to me when I read the part "how can I make her more comfortable?" and how much these walks mean to you when she is with you. You have a beautiful thing going there, Dave:)

dave said...

We got home and we tried on different coats. I have two Lands End Squall Jackets, one is a abit smaller than the other. If we were going in the rain, that coat would shed water while we were walking. I would include some gloves and a warm hat and we would be in business.
Yes I do my best to look after her, she is my best friend.

StefanieRose said...

your really a great man david.