Monday, April 13, 2009

first veggie

One of the first veggies out of our garden is a delicacy.

Asparagus. Yesterday we had our first.

It seems to me that when a food crop is in season and the price is right (out of my garden -- free), and the quality is tops, it is time to indulge.

So, for the next few weeks we will have asparagus, right to the point where I get tired of it, and then boom it goes away.

The produce section of our grocery store has it much of the time, but at prices that put it off our budget, but for now we eat like there was no budget.

Same for other crops. I rarely buy tomatoes out of the store. They are there and they look pretty good, but they are not very good, not when compared with vine ripe. There are other things to eat in the winter besides plasticized tomatoes.

And when those good tomatoes are on, I will gorge myself, meanwhile we have asparagus.

No comments: