Wednesday, June 10, 2009

the elephant

We had a good, mostly quiet anniversary.

I went to my support meeting and left Miriam a note (I gave it to her so she can remember better) that I was taking her out to eat and to change into nicer clothes. When I returned she was wearing a nice blue sweater and black pants.

We had a good time.

My sister came down with a huge cake for us (she does that kind of thing a lot!).

Deanna called: “Have you read the email from Lora?”

I just saw it but I have not read it.

“Let me tell you the main point so you can process it gently. Lora has breast cancer.”

That horrid C word. Not one of my beloved daughters.

It is very small and she will do all right I am sure, and she will live a very long time, but it still scares the dickens out of an old fool.

The course of action is ahead. She is a super nurse who has a good support group in her medical community. She will get the best care there is. I know all of that, but I hope I can be forgiven for shedding a daddy tear here.

Then I read the email. She talks about having an Elephant in her house, and that she does not like elephants and that this one is here any how. She hints at lowering stress and making changes, but it is too soon for anything but a bit of shocked retrospection.

Miriam had a lump in her breast once. She knew but did not tell me. My mom was dying of cancer and Miriam did not want to alarm me further. After we buried Mom, she went in for a biopsy.

I waited in the lobby while our good friend Doctor Kent, did the biopsy. He came back to where I was, with a big smile. “She is ok, dave.”

“I am so glad" I said, " I do not know how much more sadness I could handle.”

No comments: