Monday, June 22, 2009

wedding

We went to a wedding this weekend.

The groom was the son of a former pastor. The bride was from Sweden.

Weddings can be painfully inexpensive, and look it, or they can be embarrassingly over the top. This one was not spendy, but it was done so carefully and well, it was a joy to be in attendance. The flowers were well designed, the decorating in good taste (and it looked good with our newly remodeled sanctuary!).

Most of the planning was done by the groom’s capable mother and her friends. The bride just arrived in Idaho few days ago.

The music was mostly canned, but the piano player played along much of the time, an interesting touch. I generally dislike canned music, but this was done very well.

When the party began the mothers marched in and lit the candles. Then the attendants walked down the aisle. Two of each. The bridesmaids were thin and short, one very blonde and one very black. The groomsmen were handsome.

Then the groom’s brother played his trumpet (he did it very well), and the bride walked the aisle alone. Idaho is a long way from Sweden and either she does not have a father, or he was not able to come. It might be an ominous sign to the new groom!

A blonde lady (it was the bride’s sister) sang a wonderful song, full of great meaning and intonation, but it was in Swedish. A friend read a poem about hands, done in english.

The pastor/father delivered a wonderfully personal message, full of little stories and quips as well as advice and council. He knew the groom pretty well, after all! He did a superb job of being the father/pastor.

The bride and groom met 7 years ago in France. She noticed him, he did not seem to see her. She managed to be where he was through the next few years and gradually he began to notice her.

Their courtship has been on three continents, through a number of years. They could not be accused of doing it all too soon.

So, now they are married.

2 comments:

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Just being an event coordinator, I have seen my share of overly-done weddings and weddings that were uncomplicated yet very elegant and thought out. And then I have seen the tacky, painful trainwreck ones. Uncomplicated and elegant always gets my vote.

I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding. Myself, I tend to look forward to a slice of wedding cake. There is something about good wedding cake that is just unsurpassed.

dave said...

As a wedding photographer, I attended enough weddings to last me a long time.
I rarely go now, but this family is important to me.
The groom's mom met me at the door and shook my hand:"Dave, you DID come."
I am become a hermit and I guess the word is out!