Thursday, July 23, 2009

the county fair

Today is the first day of the country fair.

The fair in this county is pretty close to an old fashioned one, mostly.


There is a Rodeo. I read that it is considered a good one by the cowboys, who travel the “circuit.” There is a smallish “carnival” a good sized building full of Ag related exhibits, and barns and barns of animals.

These animals are mostly 4H kids projects. Good kids working with good critters. We have gone to that one, but I do not know enough about any of them to be able to really tell the good ones from the not so good ones. That part used to be free, but now there is an entry charge for the whole thing.

Understand that I won’t go to any of the events. It is not that I am against them, but it is a bit off budget and not much there for small-holders like me, and it is way more commercial than I would prefer.

But I pay attention.

This week is the hottest week of the year -- so far -- with several days over 100 degrees. It seems like it will go forever, but as sure as there is a County Fair fall is on it’s way.

In a few weeks you will feel it when you get up in the early morning. It will be a bit nippy. It could still be hot during the day though.

But fall is on it’s inevitable way. Just as the corn comes on and the tomatoes begin to ripen and the garden’s bounty starts to over flow, we have fall, which is an instant reminder that winter is coming.

I don’t mind winter, but right now it does not seem like a good idea. And fall is one of the most beautiful times of the year. Once we have a good hard frost the stinging and biting insects go into another cycle. But, right now i am content with summer.

For dinner today we will have the first corn on the cob of the season. Mashed potatoes, some green beans and a good salad with nuts and white raisins. Nearly all of that will come out of our garden (or the neighbor’s!).

It is the good time of year, but it is fleeting.

That is alright, but I do not have to like it. Maybe it remind me too much of my life.

No comments: