Tuesday, July 7, 2009

grandparents

I had all of my grandparents until I was well into my 40’s

Most of the time we lived in the same town. It was a good.

My mothers parents (Minnie and Howard) were from Nebraska and Washington State. My fathers parents (Sally May and Thomas, but known as TK) both were born in north Texas. TK’s mother was also born in Texas though her given name was “Tennessee!”

I went to undergraduate college in the town where Howard was born and to graduate school in the same county where TK was born. We did not know all of that until we were about to leave Texas.

My father’s family moved to Oklahoma early in their marriage and their children were born there. Then they got caught in the dust bowl and the whop-la about California. Their story is remarkably close to Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath.”

When Howard and Minnie had been married about 40 years, grandpa had a heart attack. Fearing that he would not live to see their 50th anniversary, Mom put on a party for them. Grandpa fooled them, he lived to be 98, and they celebrated their 60th anniversary.

TK and Sally May divorced the year I was born. Each remarried, but I only met TK’s 2nd wife once. Sally May married a guy who was a plastering contractor, back when that was big business. He was called “Mud.” He was an interesting man.

For the next few days I want to do a few pieces about my grandparents. This will be the introduction. My kids and grandkids need to know what I remember. Memory is not always accurate, but it should be honest.

I will do my best.

1 comment:

Arline said...

Yes! Please!

I consider myself very blessed to have known, at least a little, my grands and my greats. Wonderful people. What characters!