Monday, August 31, 2009

forgetful

It was a good “vacation.”

We took the teardrop which is on the edge (in my mind) between camping and camping.

I put up the tent the first evening we were there. The mosquitos were pretty insistent, so I set up the tent, put our folding chairs in the tent and we were bug free.

When it got too dark to read easily, I started the coleman lantern (out of the tent) and hung it inside. That does not make good reading light, but it was easy to do some journaling.

Over the weekend we had heat (close to 100º), rain, wind, and lots in between. Five couples came for the weekend, and another 5 came up Saturday afternoon. We had a couple of shared meals and that was good as always.

I intended to make a Dutch oven cake, but I discovered I did not have a cake mix (nor the ingredients to make a scratch version). One of the gals had a package of Lemon bar mix that she shared with me.

When I packed the cooler, I remembered looking at the egg carton, but then I was distracted, so no eggs. Another friend rescued me there.

I added some pancake mix to the lemon bar mix, put in another teaspoon of baking powder, assembled the cake (melted butter, brown sugar, walnuts, pineapple pieces and then the cake mix.

Any way it turned out much better than I deserved. Since it was the only desert we had for that meal it was REALLY appreciated.

Miriam an I went a day before the others so I could have a day to ourselves. IT was wonderful.

Oh, and not only did I forget the cake mix, I forgot my camera! So, no pictures.

Oh well.