Thursday, August 13, 2009

Juanita

Of the women I have known-- Juanita is right at the top of the list.

She can be demanding, a bit pushy and rather domineering. But she is a jewell. She does what she does with a smile, and I have never felt a tinge of aggravation the countless times I have worked with her. And, she gets things done!

Juanita’s younger brother, Art, died a few years ago. He was a prince of a guy and a super mason (the kind that work with mortar and bricks!). I have written about him.

She is ageless. She could be 65 or she could be 80. I don’t really know.

When my church group has a potluck we invite Juanita. She loves to cook, but she lives alone and there is no one to eat her good food, so we help her out on that one.

She is a lady who is used to being in charge, but she does it with tremendous grace. We may laugh between ourselves, but we all admire her greatly.

In the last few years, she has lost two sisters and a brother. This winter Juanita was in the hospital and it sounded real bad. I thought that maybe this was the beginning of the end for her, but she fought hard and now is back in charge of things.

I, for one, am so glad to have her back.

Today she called me to see if I would help her setup a room for a weekend event at the church. Normally Sam would help take care of that, but Sam is still recuperating from his surgery.

Some, I am told, upon retirement sit and rust, while waiting for the guy with the scythe.

Not Juanita.

No comments: