Friday, October 9, 2009

The bank called

I am not in the habit of hearing from my bank. Used to be that one of the officers of the bank would call me in the morning if my account was in arrears, that stopped a long time ago!

But this time the line was different.

The lady identified herself and said: “I see some unusual activity on your bank account,” She said.

Now, I am an extremely small portion of their customer base, on a graph I would be so close to the line you could not see the space, but this time I was being asked about a charge on my debit card.

No I had not authorized that charge, nor another one just above it. I noticed the charge earlier in the day and was planning a trip to the bank to protest.

But, the bank called me instead. “Hmm.” she said, “Your account has been compromised. I am going to cancel your account immediately, and issue you a new card.”

Today I go into my branch bank where I know quite a few of the people and finish the arrangement.

I am still a bit amazed at what made them suspicious about that “unusual activity” and more than a bit pleased by their vigilance.

4 comments:

StefanieRose said...

that happened to my mom- the charge that they noticed being odd was a 1 dollar charge on the itunes store... and they called to cancel the card. really pretty good as my mom has no idea what the itunes store is! lol

dave said...

I got a charge from the ipod store too, but I am guessing it had nothing to do with Apple.

~Betsy said...

If you have credit cards, be sure to keep watch. In fact, you may even want to cancel them - or at the very least keep a very close watch on them. On all of your accounts. A friend of mine had his identity stolen and they spent thousands from his checking account.

dave said...

I don't have much money to steal, but I watch my account very carefully, monitoring it online daily.
In this case I caught the problem before they called.