Tuesday, October 6, 2009

lazy gardener

I certainly was not meant to be a farmer.

A good friend was a dairyman, back when a good sized dairy might milk 50 or 60 cows. Now we have factories that have around 10,000 cows, but that is a different story.

Cows need regular care, like twice a day. The girls are insistent on that big of regularity. So Dairy farmers don’t go on extended trips without a LOT of arranging and delegation.

I, on the other hand, will go visit a daughter or a grandchild on the flip of a bad coin. That is OK, except that gardening needs a schedule too. Not as tight as a dairy, but if the tomatoes don’t get planted by a certain time, there is not much of a crop etc.

So this spring we went to stay with Emily. Garden got to wait and it did OK, but it might have done better had I been here. This fall we were gone again when the first frost hit. Could have brought more in had I been here, but I was not.

And here is the tricky part. If I have to choose between a good garden and a good visit with a daughter or grandchild, the garden comes in a distant second.

So, today, after a few frosts, I am going to attack our tomato patch and see how many tomatoes I can salvage. The ripe ones will be juiced and in canning jars by bed time, the ones that are not quite rip will be eaten later.

This fall I will stay home, mostly, and through the winter much the same thing, but if an invitation is extended, we might be on the road again.

The garden can wait.

No comments: