Thursday, October 8, 2009

juice

I canned tomato juice yesterday.

We came home from out last trip to some frost, but lots of good ripe tomatoes. We picked all the ripe ones, even the cherry tomatoes before hard frost took them all. Yesterday I juiced and canned. The juice turned out to be a fairly thick, but should make great soup base).

Some small shell pasta, a pint of juice, a bit of flavoring (Miriam said I had a bit too much) and it was good with grilled cheese on fresh home made bread.

Along the way, I spent some time organizing our fruit shelves. They can get to be a real jungle, with good fruit buried. I found some 8 year old plums that will aid the compost pile, among other treasures.

We have half gallon jars that we will never use, and a few gallon ones. I don’t know if any one uses half gallon jars any more, but they are way too nice to just throw out.

Space for invention.

Now the pint jars that are what I prefer. The tomato juice I did yesterday went into pint jars, they seem about right for two people.

No comments: