Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Didja see the game?

Boise State University rated 6th in the in college football beat Texas Christian University, rated 3rd. Final score 17 to 10.

First off, I am not too much of a football fan, but I do have a degree from BSU. A friend came over and we watched (and listened) to the game.

Boise State began as a private college and then became a public junior college and only began awarding bachelors degrees in 1965. It is a right decent school, but never mentioned along side any real major universities.

And, I don’t usually watch BSU games. They have been in bowl games several years now, once defeating mighty Oklahoma, but I have never watched. My football fire just does not burn brightly.

Most likely I will never be a big football fan. A grandson that I am very proud of played high school football (he is a senior this year) and played very well, and now my alma mater has a nationally recognized team, so I am warming up a bit.

Comparing my graduate university (University of North Texas whose football team nearly always looses) with BSU on any level other than football is futile. BSU did not offer a doctorate degree until the early 90’s. UNT has twice as many students, dozens of doctorate degrees and so on.

But today we celebrate football. And we are proud of them.

Now if someone will really tell me how high priced college football relates to education, I’ll be satisfied!

No comments: