Sunday, January 3, 2010

uzzah

The sermon was about Uzzah.

I have heard the story, and read it myself, a good number of times. The story is about a priest, who, while the Arc of the Covenant was being moved, he reached out to steady the arc and was instantly killed “by God.”

No matter how well every one tries to spin the story, I come out shaking my head. If you read the passage King David was upset too, really upset. Read about it in 2 Samuel 6:1-15

The story does not make a lick of sense to me. It does not come close to lining up with what I see of God and so on.

Don’t try to enlighten me, I have heard all the angles, but it is one of those stories that I just have to let go. There are a few others, I might add.

David was really unhappy with God, I mean really unhappy.

Is it alright to be angry with God, I am told. A friend related how that when his wife was attacked by a pack of pit bull dogs, and would have been killed had it not been for a passing motorist. She shook her fist at God, friend said, and asked: Where are you God? Where are you when I need You?

And that has bothered me as much as the story about Uzzah.

A politician a few years ago made a big thing of telling us there was no free lunch. How we all have to earn our way, of how no one owes us an easy living. But how about God? What does he “owe” us?

I don’t mean what does God owe the other guys, but what does he owe me and my good friends.

I do not know. Maybe it is not God’s place to give free lunches either.

I still don’t know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Versaute Amateure

Anal Amateure

Private Fotzen