Friday, February 26, 2010

anti social

The company Miriam worked for was quite small.

When she began work the whole company was a couple dozen. Each christmas there was a big company party.

Bonus's were handed out, often equal to months pay.

The owner of the company was an old friend from my photography days, when he was the editor of a regional magazine.

But the old friend died, his family kept running the company, and it grew. The parties were not that personal almost family get together, at least not to me, an outsider.

One year there was a summer party. All employees and their families were invited to this old mansion. I went with Miriam.

As I sat watching all of these people have a great time, I got to thinking.

I was as educated as almost any of them. I was as bright as some of them, but I was the guy they called when something was broken and they could buy my services very cheaply.

There was no question. I was a step child again.

So I made arrangements for someone to bring Miriam home and I went back to my shop to work.

A friend, a Doctor whose wife worked for the company, missed me, asked Miriam and then called me at my shop.

Yes I should go back, but no I would not.

He suggested I need to get some counseling for my anti-social behavior, and I thought he had no idea.

No comments: