Monday, February 1, 2010

Dr. Kellogg

When I was in high school, our choir had made a trip to Eastern Oregon

After our concert we were assigned homes to stay for the night.

The couple was old. He was probably in his 80's. The woman looked a generation younger (I have no idea of the age difference, if there even was any). I was puzzled when she said that she and the Doctor would be sleeping in their bedroom. She did not say, but I later learned that she was his wife!

But before we went to bed the Doctor talked to us a bit. I had no idea who he was then, but he was wise and full of the kind of advice that a good teacher/doctor would give.


As a young man he had been president of the small bible college I would later attend. He was listed as a professor of Mathematics in another college, and my memory is that he had a PhD in that field as well.

While president of the college, he took classes so he could attend Medical College.

His motives certainly wasn't money. Doctors did not make a lot of money in those days. It had to be service or betterment or something.

There is so much I do not know about this very bright man, but for a brief moment he came into my life and made sense.

Only now do I wish I had paid more attention.

Through the years I have known several Doctor Kellogg's. Good men all, and all some how related to the guy who made corn flakes a long time ago

No comments: