Thursday, September 9, 2010

from 2007 journal

(Note: This is from my September 2007 journal. Our US Senator had been caught in a compromising situation and had become the butt of late night jokes. He still is.)

I am puzzled, saddened by all the publicity our state has received of late.

Whether Larry Craig is or was gay doesn’t concern me too much. It might concern his wife, and I’d be glad to leave it to them. But Larry wouldn’t let me.

In his “pro family” agenda he has helped demonize gay people. He and his friends have won elections by making gay people out to be consummate evil. Now he is caught in his own web. That, I find sad, a bit ironic, and even a bit just. Sew evil, reap evil.

I guess I am saddened that he has had to have his entrails ripped out in full public view. I feel so sorry for his wife, kids and grand kids. How the heck are you going to live this down? He is a swear word now.

So I am left feeling empty. Seeing Larry becoming an ex-senator has been a dream of mine, but it is hollow in this context. That he got caught in his own trap saddens me too. The damned trap should never have been set in the first place.

I guess what hurts me the most is that he is being done in, not by his enemies, who have been largely quiet, but by his friends, who have continued the gay bashing sadness.

There are other congress people whose crimes are even more egregious, but there are political angles there and they won’t be prosecuted.

I guess Larry is like my chinese radio. Use it to your advantage and throw it away. It can’t be fixed.

That does not make me happy either.

No comments: