Monday, September 6, 2010

my door

We live in a small house.
I designed and built it a long time ago.
It was designed to be easy on energy both winter and summer. It has done pretty well everything I asked.
But when I built the house I cut more than a few corners. I built it myself without a loan and did the work myself. I bartered all I could, otherwise it would have taken decades to finish. The basic house is very solid with good materials. The finish sometimes had to take second place.
I made the kitchen cabinets our of cheap particle board. It was what we could afford. We did not have any interior doors for quite a while until I made them. The windows were wood frame with solid glass inset.
Not remotely efficient but cheap.
But in the years before I retired I upgraded all I could to make the house easy to live in, during our retirement years.
I did everything but rebuild the front door.
Well, today was the day.
The door is 3 1/2” thick with cedar on the outside and mahogany on the inside and a lot of insulation in the middle. But it did not fit the jamb quite right, the weather stripping did not quite do it’s job and when that east wind blew in the winter, the house got cold easily.
So today I took the door off it’s hinges, had Juan (my fabulous neighbor) help me carry it out to the sawhorses on the driveway.
I put a new outside skin on the door, cleaned it all up and got it all stained. The new outside cedar will fit the weather stripping tighter.
Tomorrow I tear out the old jamb and outside trim and replace it all with new weather stripping, the kind they use on the expensive door. Should get it all in place tomorrow.
I should be able to laugh at that cold east wind.
Once more I am thankful for a few skills and and some good tools.

No comments: