Friday, September 10, 2010

snake story

This is another entry in an old journal. I was living near Sanger, Texan in an old school house. We expected to move that summer so it was temporary. Miriam was near Seattle, Washington. Our third grandson had just been born. My friend Carl owned the farm where I was staying. His mother (grandma in the piece) had come to Texas from Illinois as a young bride a LONG time before. It was Carl's farm now, but the house belonged to Grandma.

June 13, 1990 8:02am

I woke up this morning and looked out the window. There seemed to be something that was not correct with my view, even my glasses off. When I put them on, I looked again and there was a large snake hanging on the window ledge, with its tail down the wall.

I called Grandma and spoke with Carl and asked him if he could do me a favor, and come down to old school house as quick as possible. He came quickly, chuckled a bit, and got to work getting the snake down and out. Though he was born and raised on that farm yet he could not identify the critter.

He teased it until it was all unwound, then he grabbed it by the tail and swung it in a circle. He took out his always present pliers and pried the snake’s mouth open. It was not a poisonous one, but the color had fooled him.

He took it back to show his mother.

He said he wondered what was wrong by the tone of my voice. He didn't blame me for my concern. No one wants that kind of critter as a roommate. When I told Miriam she really was not impressed!

We all laughed -- much later.

No comments: