Friday, October 29, 2010

garden journal

I am working on a garden journal.

The perfect, totally wonderful version. There is no doubt of the advantage of having years of information in one place.

This one won't be perfect, of course, since I a not remotely perfect, but I will strive!

There is a good version from Lee Valley that is pretty good looking. It is huge (9 by 11) with 544 pages! It also sells for $40 plus another few to get it here,

I debated whether a bound book (one I would make) would be better than a loose leaf version. Since I am not sure exactly what will be in this journal I decided to go with the loose leaf version.

So I reclaimed an old Day Timer (I have a box full), set it up with the sheets and dividers. This DayTimer is one of the larger ones. I can cut and punch paper, almost any paper I might wish, and insert it into the 7 rings.

I have a page for each variety of vegetable, a calendar to remind me when to do different things, and a place for notes and information about each variety of plant in my garden.

Now to find information. I discovered that in 1998 I bought 2 peach trees, a Hale and a Red Haven. I had forgotten what variety they are.

This should give me a place to keep all of this information, and maybe make my garden more productive.

Now to get all of the good data into this one book.

No comments: