Sunday, January 23, 2011

exercise

I don't get enough exercise.

It is winter I know, and I cannot work in the garden, but still.

Miriam walked with Leo as long as we had him. It gave both of them something to do. She walked the same route each day. She would tell me when she left, and since it was the same route, I knew how long it would take her to return.

But now she walks with a shuffle. It is hard enough to get her from the car to the grocery store or church. While I walk fast with long strides, she shuffles along slowly. (I learn patience whether I want to or not).

So any serious walking is out of the question for her, and I don't want to hurt her feelings, or to make her feel bad in any way, so this winter I have not walked at all.

But last week I told her I was going to go for a 20 minute walk, she agreed and wished me well. Then I extended that 20 minutes to 40 minutes of good hard walking (got my heart beat up nicely).

It was in the evening, it was cool and i was a bit underdressed, but it was very good.

This is a disease of incrementalism. Gradually things change. Sometimes it is not good (usually), but sometimes it works out OK.

So, I will take my walks again.

I prefer evening, jsut before it gets dark. The air is brisk and my lungs like the deeper breathing.

No comments: