Tuesday, January 25, 2011

serving dishes

When I look through our cupboards I see serving dishes.

Dozens of them. All sizes and colors, lots of clear glass, some ceramic that are really nice, and a lot of really ugly ones.

The irony is that, even when we have company, I don't use them!

When I go to a restaurant they don't (usually) fill the table with dishes of all the food, they bring on a plate of food. When I cook for just Miriam and I that system works best. I give her what I want her to eat, and if she chooses she does not have to eat it all, that is OK too, but it saves on dishes she has to wash (I threw in that thought so it would seem I was less despotic.)

(Side note here: Yesterday I made an overly optimistic pan of oatmeal mush/porridge/stuff. I ate most of it, but recently oatmeal has once again become less than wonderful on my palette. Since there are almost unlimited options, it is not a big deal. Today I made some banana nut muffins to go with cold cereal)

So as I look into the cupboards for stuff we don't use (most of it), I scheme. Daughter one and I have a deal. I box up stuff I don't want (so Miriam does not see or know) and she recycles it.

Do I really need 25 or 40 serving dishes?

No comments: