Thursday, January 13, 2011

sabbatical

I am beginning a sabbatical.

There is no short time and no long time. It could last a week it could be a change of a lifetime.

The first weekend of my life found me at church in this town. It has been my town most of that time and this church has been my church.

I devoted massive amounts of work doing an extensive remodel, Miriam did the sign out front as well the stain glass window. I am the third generation of my family to be members, but . . .

So many sermons are like bad TV commercials. Lots of glitz, lots of light and fireworks and that jingle sticks in your mind always, but when it is over you can't remember what it was all about.

For nearly all of my adult life I have been a facilitator of a bible discussion group. It is time to take a break. My hunch is that some will actually welcome my break, others won't. I will probably never know. This group has gone on for almost 20 years.

All of this adds up.

So, this week we are going to visit a neighboring church. I know the guest speaker. Next week we will go to another area church that has a new pastor that I have never heard.

Mostly I need encouragement, not to be reminded of my sins, or to pile more guilt on my poor overworked brain.

Sometimes I ask why, I ask, am I even here?

More than just to take care of Miriam?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again you have asked the question we all ask of ourselves. What is my purpose and am I (or did I) doing(did) it right?

The answer I find most meaningful is that we do all we can, for as long as we can as well as we can and yes generally we do it right.

But please never be afraid to ask for help. With my father with dementia and cancer, I'm not sure. With my mother in law with AD I asked for help immediately. Both were loved and treated wonderfully, but I still question myself.

Reading your blog tells me you are doing it so right. You just need assurance as you venture forward.

One day at a time, Susan

dave said...

Indeed assurance.
My spiritual leaders are not covering that one well, and Miriam is not doing so well and that is hard on my head and it is winter and I am not getting enough exercise GRR.

dave said...

Susan, thanks for your good words. So often you chime in at the exact right time.
Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Dad, my heart is with you. Though my backpack is very full, too, I ache for you and your trials. Your patience and love for Mom is an encouragement to me; THANK YOU for perservering! Lora