Monday, January 31, 2011

stew

I remember once making vegetable stew.

We were working out of town and were staying in our travel trailer. 1 medium potato, 1 smallish carrot, 1 stick of celery and so on. It worked well for the two of us.

Since I have taken over the cooking here, I have worked to make just the right amount of food for a meal. For instance if I take 1 1/3 cup of flour I make enough pancakes or waffles for the two of us with none left over. One round cup of rolled oats makes cereal for us and so on.

So yesterday, I peeled and diced a half dozen medium potatoes, two good sized carrots, added similar portions of celery and put it on to cook. Later I added other veggies including a can of diced tomatoes and a can of garbanzos. When I finished I had close to a gallon of pretty decent stew.

I don't mind eating the same thing for two meals in a row, but that would be about right for a week. So, this time I spooned the correct amount for two servings, into quart ziplock bags and put them in the freezer..

The freezer has not been my best meal making tool. Not the machine's fault, but I have not been using it as affectively as I could.

But this is all an adventure and a learning experience, so I keep trucking!

Tonight I think I'll make half a batch of biscuits and use them as dumplings on some of that stew, but get the stew to temperature before adding the biscuit dough. Just heard that one on the radio last week.

I am learning slowly at times, but I am!

No comments: