Saturday, February 5, 2011

greenbelt

Everyone loves greenbelts.

OK, almost everyone.

Boise has a greenbelt that follows the Boise River from Lucky Peak dam down past Eagle, 20 or 25 miles. It is well used and seems to be well accepted.

But propose a greenbelt and all sorts of people rise up and scream. Property values are one rallying point. Crime is another and others are invented on the spot. Some of these may even have some relevance.

I live near the local YMCA. Our rear property corners meet in the middle of an irrigation canal!

Long time ago there was a move to make a “trail” mostly using existing streets and walk ways, from the downtown area to the Y, some 3 or 4 miles. Since I am on the route, I paid attention.

Several options were offered. One was to run the trail right down the middle of my place, using a federal right of way along a waterway. One was to go on the side of my property, but the one won out is on the other side of the irrigation canal that is my NE property line.

Last week a road grader was working on the roadbed. The grader put in half a day moving plant materials and leveling.

I do not appose the project, it seems it might be a good way for the kids on our end of town to get walk to the Y for some exercise (there is a bit of irony there).

Still I wonder how it will all work out.

Guess I will just have to wait.

No comments: