Saturday, February 19, 2011

rhythm

I like life to have rhythm.

I am a very amateur musician, and I don’t mean a rhythm that tight, but I am a gardner.

Gardening has a rhythm, you plant in the spring and early summer, you harvest when the vegetables ar ready. Each veggie has it’s own unique rhythm.

Soon we will have an abundance of Asparagus. It will be welcome and wonderful. By the time it warms up good and that harvest is over, I will be tired of Asparagus and will wait until the next spring for my next splurge.

Of course, I could buy it in the grocery store, year around, at $3 to 5 a pound, but that is flown in from some country Ill never visit and the taste is flat too.

Strawberries, fresh fruit, berries, each will be cherished as their rhythm and my tastes coincide.

Our modern supermarket (the one where we shop covers abut 6 or 7 acres) has pretty much the same produce year round. You can buy grapefruit about any time, but I have a preference (big time) to Texas pink grapefruits, and I will check the labels. Until the pinks are in the store, I skip the dry sour versions.

And so it goes.

For dinner today, this is February, after all, we are having Lentil soup with a side salad and whole wheat bread. I know I did not grow the carrot nor the celery, or the lentils for that matter, but this is winter!

But, spring will be here soon.

No comments: