Friday, April 29, 2011

the party

I woke up early Friday morning. Coughing.

A good drink of water would solve the problem, so I got up, knowing that I would not get back to sleep really soon.

For some reason I turned on the TV, which I rarely do that time of morning and was immediately informed that today was THE day. The big wedding. And I saw it live, lucky me.

Those Brits know how to throw a wedding. If there was a budget it had a LOT of zeros!

Early on what I found fascinating (besides the outright gaudiness of those uniforms -- and the size of the women’s hats) was all of those black cars.

Of course I was sure they were all Rolls Royces, but then I read that Audi furnishes at least some of the fleet of cars for the royals. Hmm. Audi is a division of Volkswagen who also own some of the RR franchise (BMW owns another hunk).

There was one old Rolls I imagine, that had spare tires mounted into the front fender, on each side. Tall and rather solid looking. The car the groom and his brother arrived in was ultra sleek and frankly beautiful.

Can't forget the horses. After the ceremony horses showed up with another series of wild uniforms. The carriage that the couple rode in was a hundred years old. Glad they didn’t try to make the trip in an English car of that vintage! I am not a great horse fancier, but I can admire a good horse.

Any way it was a great show.

I photographed a lot of weddings in my misguided youth, and I have often wondered if there is a correlation between the amount a wedding costs and just about anything else.

Still don’t know.

No comments: