Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Texas pinks

There were not many Texas agricultural products I found wonderful.

The potatoes were not good at all, but there was always Idaho's back there somewhere.

Onions were OK, but not as good as Oregon/Idaho. Onions are a very major part of our ag industry around these parts. There are thousands and thousands of acres planted each year. In the fall the whole area has that low level onion smell, sort of like a good meal!

But the one thing that Texas grows that are the very best (in my jaded opinion) are those pink grapefruits. Unfortunately the season is over now, at least at my market, but for several months they are plentiful and inexpensive. Last trip to the grocer I bought a couple of pinks from somewhere else, and they weren't bad, but not as good as those grown in Texas.

They are grown in what is called "the valley." Since much of Texas is pretty flat (exceptions: the "hill country" around Austin and way west Texas where there are serious mountains) I have never figured out how it came to be called "the valley."

So, next season when you see smallish grapefruit (they have very thin skins), look for the Texas label.

I don't think you will be sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having lived in Texas, Pecos Melons(cantaloupe) and Texas Pinks(grapefruit) are absolutely wonderful. And so are Ga's Vidalia Onions.

Anything home grown and picked and served the same day are so special. I envy you and your garden. I know I'm not supposed to envy, but envy I do.

It's a lot of work to do it right, but the rewards are wonderful. I saw the picture of your neighbor's garden and my grandfather would have envied that too.

Hope your growing season is well rewarded this year.

Susan

dave said...

This year my neighbor is not gardening. He had a bad winter and his health is not good.
I will miss him and his wonderful example.

Take care of yourself Susan