Wednesday, May 11, 2011

decency

One of my friends sent me an email recently.

It was a statement and promise that if I were to spend time with the last president, I would find him charming and decent. The piece was a challenge to agree.

I did agree, without hesitation.

It seems to me that the further up any organization you go the nicer the people are (usually!). Most don’t get to the top by being jerks.

I am not sure what we might talk about, but I agreed that there are very few politicians that I would not find likable and charming.

But, after my friend challenged me to agree the last man was a good man I challenged him to do the same with the present man. No response.

There was a one armed man who was a senator. He lost his other limbs while serving in the Military. He received numerous awards for his service. But when he was seeking re-election he was accused (by a man who not served) of being unpatriotic.

The one armed man may not have deserved reelection, but because he was not patriotic, after loosing two legs and an arm in combat?

Someone once said that there was a lot of bad in the best of us and a lot of good in the worst. I agree and suggest that there we might push the idea a bit further.

It is not a sign of greatness when we have to demonize people we do not agree with. Our leaders may not always act as we would prefer (money talks and you and I are not big contributors!), but they are decent people who are really trying to make the world a better place.

A couple of years ago, at a campaign stop, a woman accused the opposition candidate of being unfit for office and evil somehow. “No,” was the reply, “He is a decent family man, I just disagree with his views.”

We need to hear that a LOT more on all sides.

No comments: