Monday, May 9, 2011

mom's day

Yesterday was a good day for Miriam.

She had trouble remembering why her daughters, and a granddaughter, all kept calling her, but it was good. She chatted with them asking the same question several times, of course.

It was a rainy day and I was in my studio working on a gift project. Late morning she came over, eyes big and insisted that I go with her. I had been given a heads up, so I was pretty sure what was going on and i was right.

Daughter 3 had sent a lovely bouquet of flowers. Really nice ones. Miriam was over joyed, and puzzled by it all. Once I reminded her of the significance of the day she enjoyed the flowers. They will grace our dining table (also our breakfast table) for as long as possible.

I should have taken her out to a fancy restaurant, I think that is what you are supposed to do, but I usually resist doing whatever is expected of me. It is a perverse thing, but it is.

Instead I made her dinner of Pasta with fresh Asparagus, a green salad and fresh olive/herb bread. We even had a couple small scoops of ice cream for desert.

It was a good meal and right on budget!

Even though she did not remember what the day was it was good for her to talk to her daughters. They are good women and I am proud to be their father.

No comments: