Tuesday, May 10, 2011

garden

I drip my garden.

That is, a long while ago I converted overhead watering to drip irrigation. I have regressed from time to time, but I come back to the drip system. I guess it takes one to know one.

My neighbor put in an irrigation pump a couple years ago (his electricity, but on my property!). I tried that for a year and it worked OK, the next year it did not work and I went back to my old favorite.

This winter was hard on the piping that supports the system. I had the pipes buried quite deep decades ago and when they leak, it is a real chore to find the leaks.

So I abandoned the whole thing and am running all new waterlines, buried just a few inches below the surface. If there is a leak, I can see it easily and get it fixed easily, or that is the plan.

And, of course I want to make improvements on the system while I am at it. Not all improvements actually improve, but I am going to take a risk with that one.

Tomorrow I should get the pipes all installed and by weekend at east some of the drip lines.

We did pour the concrete for the new greenhouse foundation today, so there was real progress. The foundation work is beyond my base skill set, but the rest is pretty straightforward, I think!

No comments: