Tuesday, May 24, 2011

happy

Today is my birthday.

I tell Miriam that we are too old, way too old, to die young. Miriam reminds me that my grandpa lived to 98, but I tell her not to hope that for me.

Grandpa spent his last years not to aware of the world. He was the last around. Mom was gone, my step dad was gone and grandpa was in a nursing home.

Uncle Chet (now gone too) went in to see Grandpa. "Mr. Wilson, Arline just had a baby."

Arline is the name of my oldest daughter, who had the aforementioned baby, and that was also my mother's name. Grandpa was thinking about his daughter not his great granddaughter.

"No she didn't" he said, with authority, "she's dead."

Some one said of AD people that they never loose their intelligence. It may be true.

It was a good day. Facebook kept reminding me of well wishers. I got the lawn mowed! This evening my sister, whose birthday was a few weeks ago, came down with a cake and we had a mini-party!

No comments: