Thursday, July 28, 2011

garden

I just became the "King of the Garden" or it might be the vassal of the garden!

Even when I lived here I have not gardened here. It is a lot different than Idaho. First of all there is a longer growing season, a lot longer, and climate change is extending it even more.

Right now we still have a longer growing season left this year than a lot of places get for the whole year. So I ordered some seed yesterday.

One rule of gardening is to plant what people eat. Don't plant zucchini if no one will eat the stuff. With that in mind I ordered some cabbage seed. The kids will only eat it in salsa. But the kids are heading for boarding school in about a month (this place is going to be quiet then). so maybe the rest of us can eat more cabbage this year.

This year the garden is off to a very slow start, at least, by the standards I am used to, but a 180 day season is a lot more growing time than the 120 day season I am used to.

Everything changes. Even as plants that do well in one area may well not do so well in another, I am guessing the same is true for gardeners.

With 90 days left before first frost, maybe I should be planting seeds.

No comments: