Friday, July 29, 2011

mom the photographer

My mother was an avid photographer.

She was not really a good photographer, but she took a lot of pictures. Her camera was woefully under the limited technology of the day, much less today. She would have done well with a current $100 digital camera.

But that is not what she had. She used slide film, which is trickier to get right. The exposure window is not very wide. You need to get the right amount of light for the precise right length of time, and her system did not do well with that one.

So yesterday, we drove the 38 miles south to daughter 2's house to edit slides.

We started out with a good sized box and I edited them down to about 1/4 of a shoebox. Those I will scan and share with the family.

Priority was on pictures of people. I didn't use a magnifier, so it was not always easy to see who the people were, but if there were people, I kept them all. I can look closer later. Then I arranged them according to who I thought was in the photographs. There were a lot of my step-dad’s family, who I do not know too well. I’ll scan those and send them to my half brother, after all these are his family.

So I have my winter days taken up with slide scanning. A long winter will work out alright!

There are a lot of slides to scan.

No comments: