Friday, April 27, 2012

disaster


It started Wednesday with an early morning phone call. 
“Dave, there is a flood at your house.” The word “full” was used as was “street blocked.” My mind froze. 
I called a friend to look and call me back. 
He called back. It was not good.
“Go pack.” Daughter said. I was planning on making a trip to Idaho later in the day, taking Miriam with me. With the phone call I knew where I was going and it would be soon, but not when I would come back.
And my brother from Georgia was due on Thursday. 
It was noon before I got there. The water had been pumped out of the house. There had been 30 inches at the peak. Everything that was there was ruined. Crews were taking things out, others were inventorying the content. 
I didn’t cry, not out loud at least.
Today the crews tore out the drywall, took the cabinets off the wall, tore out the beautiful moldings I had labored over, the ones with 5 coats of oil enamel paint. 
The inspectors were sure the electrical wiring would be condemned. They were pretty sure that with that much water the ceramic tile on the floor might come loose. 
Right now there is cleanup going on, but no answers. The water came from a city controlled source. They are taking responsibility for the structure, we are not sure about the home owners policy. They are a tad slippery sometimes.
I cannot begin to imagine rebuilding the house.
The adjusters tell me that they will have word by mid week. I told them I was leaving town and that my friend David would be their contact person.
I don’t believe the Lord hurts one person for the benefit of another, but I do believe that the Lord is here to help us in adversity. This might be a blessing in disguise and it might be the end of a lot of good things.
It is too early to know. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad for you. Nothing makes this right. Susan

dave said...

It sure wasn't part of my plan for the weekend!