Tuesday, April 24, 2012

underwear for men


Yesterday I decided I needed some new underwear. 
That sounds simple enough. But it ain’t. There are more styles of men’s underwear than you can imagine, and all of them come in tightly contained packaging that defies opening. No chance to check any details up close. 
I found the rack where I hoped they would have what I wanted. Simple low rider, cotton, stretchy style with a simple waist band and no fly. 

When I found what I thought was the right one, I made the purchase and made my way home. 
When I get them home I noticed the first bad sign. There was NO indication of sizing. One size may fit most, but there are skinny most and there are not so skinny most and there is no way in this world anything is going to fit them both.
I got the wrong most. The fabric is OK, the waist band is way too wide and way too tight and I don’t like them. So, 5 pair of new men’s shorts to Goodwill, and I will start the process over.
Sometimes I never find what I am looking for. Some years ago I bought some boxers that were really OK. The fabric was the right weight, the colors were OK (men’s boxers can get really wildly colorful and graphic) and they fit nicely.
So I went to get more like them. Ha. They only made that one batch apparently. I thought I had found some, but of course I could not inspect them more carefully. The fabric was the wrong weight, the size was wrong and they ended up at Goodwill. Never did find what I wanted.
I have bought Miriam’s lingerie most of our married life. I suppose somewhere there are women’s underwear packed in blister wrap able to resist terrorist attacks, but I don’t remember ever seeing any.
Tomorrow we go to the big city where I was born and I will give it another try.

Wish me luck.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! My husband has the same complaint, and unfortunately this means that what I would like to toss I can't! Susan