Saturday, April 28, 2012

drying


Yesterday was workers and adjusters.
The cleanup crews labored to clean, wash and then dry the house. In the afternoon the real important adjuster arrived, surveyed the situation and began telling us what to do next. The insurance company, I was informed, has responsibility to make it all good again, but the city has responsibility for the damage too. So the insurance company has every reason to keep the heat on the city.

I like that. 
It turns out that the way the water came in is critical, as is the source of the water. There was some question that the insurance company would not cover this particular situation.
The adjuster arrived and began without hesitation. She had seen the city report. She proceeded to explain their responsibilities and my duties. She did not question the details of the water. That was very good.
Last night the house was full of fans, about 20 of them as well as 4 or 5 dehumidifier/heaters. All working to dry the house and the framing out fast. There is question about the tile floor. Will all of this water cause it to loosen, only when it is dry can we know.
My emotions have gone through the gates during all of this and when there seemed to be a chance that the insurance company would pull out, those emotions dipped to new lows.
But after a couple visits with my insurance agent (a very good friend) and the visit and comments by the adjuster, I feel a ton better. 
Numbers are being put together. They will have them assembled by early week and we can begin talk and deciding.
Meanwhile, today is the last day my brother and his wife will be here, so we will make it a good day.

3 comments:

Arline said...

I'm a by-stander and my emotions are all over the board. AURGH!!! I can only imagine what it would feel like for the creator of the place to see this sort of demolition.

D#1

Arline said...

I'm a by-stander and my emotions are all over the board. AURGH!!! I can only imagine what it would feel like for the creator of the place to see this sort of demolition.

D#1

dave said...

In sculpture we are told: "You can't keep all of what you make." Often we create, document by photography and then destroy.
I guess this fits into that category.
I have a bit of vertigo this morning, can't imagine where THAT came from!