Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gordon


We live in a college town. In fact there are three pretty decent college in this area.

Years ago I was struggling with Analytical Geometry and Calculus. Then one semester Gordon was my teacher. He had ways of explaining all of those complex sounding ideas. I almost figured Calculus out!

Later I photographed him a few hundred times. He was one of my favorite professors (to photograph!). He almost looked like an eccentric teacher. He was a bit awkward around cameras yet quite easy to photograph. By now he has to be in his early to middle 80’s but still looks pretty good.

This week when I took Miriam to the retirement home to get her hair cut, Gordon was there. While I remember him well, yet when a friend asked him recently, he said he did not remember me at all. That is OK.

At the retirement home there was a sing-along going when we got there. Gordon had his violin (I did not know he played) and was sawing out the tune. Not inspired, but OK. Later when we came out of the beauty shop, he was in a group doing exercises. 

When I see him I am always saddened a bit. He finished his PhD long before he was 30 and here he is half a century later, just getting along like the rest of us. 

I am not sure exactly why all of this makes me sad, but I think it has to do with the fact that my heroes of old are no more or getting old. 

My numbers are stacking up too, it is rough to see my diminishing number of heroes in decline. 

No comments: