Monday, November 12, 2007

still. . .

In the last while there has been a lot of talk on various forums about intimate relations between couples, one of which has AD. Most postings have been pretty negative.

In these posts men are often put down, sometimes quite badly

We have had a close marriage for a lot of years. We are close in every way you may choose to use that word. We hug, we cuddle, we hold hands and kiss a lot, even now. I want that part, all of those parts, to go as long as possible, including the most intimate ones.

That is some of the glue that has held us together for all these years. It is important for us keep bonded, in spite of this horrible disease.

I haven’t forced her, and I won’t, but I will love and hold and cuddle her as long as is possible.

She is my little red head, and I love her, still.

6 comments:

nancy said...

i can't imagine what it must be like to lose your spouse to AD. it was hard enough as a caregiver when it was my dear father. i would suspect that even if the most intimate moments may fade the touching will never. up until the end i held my father's hand, gave him hugs and kisses, and told him i loved him. and i think even though he no longer knew me as his daughter, he knew he was loved and was special.

may God hold you tight as you travel down this difficult journey.

dave said...

thank you Nancy.

Joanne said...

She knows you love her and that's what matters most. ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

It is not unusual for Alzheimer's patients to act out sexually. I had to deal with it with my Dad, first with my mother and later in other ways. It's a difficult area but there aren't many areas with Alzheimer's that are not.

There are no rules about it and it is a subject not so widely discussed. It can easily go the other way I am quite certain.

I always tried to apply the same standards though. I didn't want Dad to be hurt and I wanted to protect his dignity, independence, and privacy.

Your situation is more difficult than mine but I think you'll find a balance. Just wanted you to know I appreciate your post and definitely offer you my best wishes.

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
Love is something that does not go away when there is an illness. I feel that just makes you closer to your spouse. Continue to love your wife and do what come natural. Don't worry about what others think.. I pray that if anything happens to me that my DH will continue to love me as he loves me now...

dave said...

thank you each