Thursday, December 27, 2007

christmas day

Christmas day was good.

We were alone for the day, but not alone either.

I fixed breakfast of cornbread and granola from one of our daughters, we lazed around, opened out presents and enjoyed each others company.

Then we went to see Jim. There was a dinner scheduled at his son’s house and Jim was too weak and tired to go. Dot wanted to go, so I offered for us to stay with Jim while Dot went to the family dinner.

We stayed a couple of hours until Jim’s baby brother came by to take over.

Earlier I had accepted an invite to friends house for dinner, even though I really wanted to be alone with Miriam. I was going to try to get out of the invite, but Jim told me go, so we went.

We had a good meal and a good time. I am glad we went.

But somewhere alone during the day or evening, I was struck quietly and silently by the silence of being alone. We are an artist family and we don’t mind spending huge quantities of time alone, but this time it was different.

I suddenly wanted to hug a grandchild or three, to feel the love of my beautiful daughters, to hug a son in law. It was good, and so lonely at the same time.

That mood didn’t last too long, but it cut deep for a tiny bit.

Dear family: I love you and I bask in your love. Thanks for being such a wonderful family.

3 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I understand that Dave, no matter how much we like to be alone there is nothing like a big old hug from someone we really love. Maybe its your granddaughter or son-in-law or for me a second cousin. Thanks for being a softie.

dave said...

What did we say when we were kids? It takes one to know one. Or, if I am a softie, so are you!!

Anonymous said...

Right after you left from thanksgiving I had a similar alone feeling...that I wouldn't see any of my sisters for all the holidays. And then Arline called and said she'd be here afterall. It was great seeing her. All 9 of us squished in our 850 sq. ft. home. cccooooozy!