Tuesday, December 25, 2007

christmas morning

Christmas morning.

The first christmas in 52 that just the two of us have been together. It is OK, we like each other’s company.

We opened our presents this morning. Good solid home made stuff for the most part, along with a couple boxes of “hand crafted chocolates” but daughter 4 works for the chocolate company!

I am reminded of how important family is. Our family is fairly small, but as I sit here waiting for the cornbread to come out of the oven, I get to thinking.

As old men do, I remember the years when my kids were small. How they would climb out of bed and come and sit on my lap or besides me in the mornings. Those memories are so special. This morning I wish I could hug those 3 and 4 year olds yet again.

And as I sit here I remember wonderful times with our grand kids.

Then I remember back further to christmas days with my parents and grandparents, when the girls were small. We lost both generations of my family in less than a decade, but those were the good days in so many ways, except we were so broke.

I sent a christmas email to my daughters a bit ago, and I know they will appreciate it, but it is not like hugging them once again, and wishing them merry christmas. I miss my girls so much at times like this.

Bless you my daughters for the joy you have brought an old man. May your kind prosper.

4 comments:

~Betsy said...

Such lovely memories - thanks for sharing.

rainbowheart said...

Dave,
What a wonderful, loving post. Thank you so much for sharing....

Joanne said...

Beautiful post, Dave. Thank you for sharing.

dave said...

thank you each.