Saturday, December 29, 2007

shutting down

The nurse from Hospice came by to check on Jim.

Two weeks, maximum, he said. Jim stopped eating but still drinks some water. I am afraid Jim’s time has come.

Of course I am saddened by the impending loss of a dear and trustworthy friend, but I am also in awe that I was allowed to be a part of this last part of a good life. Dying is a pretty private matter, in so many ways, and I have been allowed to be experience this special time, with him.

Last night I read to him from Proverbs, held his hand, prayed with him and told him what a good life he had lived, and of how much we all loved him. He seems to have gotten peace from the words.

I come back to think of the wonderful part he played in getting Tom and Jackie home this week. On his death bed, he raised up and helped others. It will likely be his last, but what a testimony to a life well lived.

Jim, truly I have walked among the giants this week.

4 comments:

StefanieRose said...

I am so sorry David. I know this will be a really hard week. Stay strong but also don't be afraid to cry. Manliness only gets you so far. I love you grandpa.

nancy said...

what a great friend and support you have been to jim. i will be praying for you both. blessings.

Joanne said...

What a truly beautiful post, Dave. Jim is a wonderful example of kindness and friendship and your time with him shows the same. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

rainbowheart said...

All I can say through the tears are ..wonderful post Dave, wonderful. Thank you for sharing...and Jim thank you for the legancy that you will leave behind.